Admissions - MSW
If you wish to apply for admission to our program, please follow the guidelines outlined below. You will note that some materials are to be sent to the USF Graduate School, and some materials should be sent to the School of Social Work. Early submission of all application materials is strongly recommended.
Gaining admission to the MSW program is a competitive process. Applicants who meet the minimum criteria will not necessarily be accepted into the program due to space limitations. Each applicant to a graduate program at the University of South Florida is required to meet the following minimum requirements.
An applicant must have one of the following:
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution and satisfying at least one of the following criteria:
- "B" average or better in all work attempted while registered as an undergraduate student working for a degree, or
- "B" average or better in all work attempted while registered as an upper division undergraduate student working for a baccalaureate degree.
NOTE: "B" average is equivalent to a 3.0 GPA
All applicants must meet the pre-requisites of an undergraduate Liberal Arts background as defined in the Procedures and Criteria for Admission portion of the MSW application.
It is preferred, but not required that all applicants to the Master's Degree program in Social Work have completed one year of post undergraduate work in a social service agency (in a service capacity) or its equivalent as determined by the MSW Graduate Admissions Committee. Experiences that might be considered as equivalent to one year's work include supervised field practicum hours, extensive volunteer experience, or other professional work experiences.
All MSW applicants will have their undergraduate transcripts evaluated in relation to a set of liberal arts course pre-requisites.
All Admission materials must be received by the Graduate Admissions Office and by the School of Social Work by the specified deadlines of the year for which admission is being sought.
Applicants are required to apply to the USF Graduate School and the USF School of Social Work . The procedures and required materials are outlined below.
USF Graduate Admissions Application
- The USF Graduate School Admissions application Grad School Application
- One official transcript of all undergraduate & graduate coursework attempted and/or completed
Send to: USF Office of Graduate Admissions
4202 E. Fowler Ave. SVC 1036
Tampa, FL 33620-2910
School of Social Work Application
- School of Social Work Application Form
References: Applicants to the MSW Program are required to submit three references. References should include at least one academic source and one professional source (preferably from a human services experience), and an additional source of either type. However, applicants who are unable to obtain an academic reference may substitute a work (volunteer or paid) or a personal reference. Personal References DO NOT Include Relatives
*The letter of recommendation should be sent to your references. Once filled out it is to be sent to MSW Applications (email@example.com)
Letter of Recommendation Form
- Personal Statement & Essay (both are required):Please email each essay to MSW Applications
- A personal interview with members of the faculty may be part of the admissions process. This interview will cover all matters relevant to the candidate's qualifications. Arrangements may be made for the interview to be held elsewhere when traveling distance poses a hardship for the applicant.
- Applicants for Advanced Standing status should submit a copy of their undergraduate field internship evaluation.
Send to: USF School of Social Work
c/o MSW Admissions Chair
13301 Bruce B. Downs Blvd., MHC1400
Tampa, FL 33612
Note: Please complete the forms, save, and send to MSW Applications (firstname.lastname@example.org) , or mail in to:
Chair of Admissions
13301 Bruce B. Downs Blvd., MHC 1400
Tampa, FL 33612
Early submission is strongly recommended. All credentials must be received by the Graduate Admissions Office prior to the deadline for applications to the Master of Social Work program.
- Spring 2017 Full-time Advanced Standing MSW program: October 15, 2016
- Summer 2017 Full-time Advanced Standing MSW program: February 15, 2017
- Fall 2017 Full-time MSW Program: February 15, 2017
- Fall 2017 Part-time Advanced Standing MSW program: February 15, 2017
- Fall 2017 Part-time Sarasota MSW program: February 15, 2017
All program inquiries should be directed to the School of Social Work at 813-974-2063 or Send an email.